Man charged over bomb hoax in Brisbane’s Kangaroo Point

Police early on Friday said a 28-year-old man from Deception Bay had been charged with staging a bomb hoax. Photo: 9 News An object with wires, resembling an explosive device, was found and dismantled by the emergency response team. Photo: 9 News
南京夜网

A 28-year-old man has been charged over an elaborate bomb prank in inner Brisbane, which forced parts of a heavily populated riverside suburb into lockdown on Thursday night.

Two men burst into the popular Kangaroo Point music venue the Jazz Club about 8.30pm on Thursday, shouting “there’s a bomb inside the toilet” to patrons.

It sparked a major police operation, as specialist police examined a device made of wires and batteries that had been placed in a public toilet block in riverside Captain Burke Park.

Captain Burke Park was locked down between Holman Street and the Brisbane River to the east, north and west.

The lockdown also applied to parts of the river, though river traffic was not impacted, police said.

Part of Holman Street was also closed, with diversions in place.

The bomb squad arrived on scene and made the emergency declaration about 11pm.

It was revoked an hour and a half later, when they examined the package and determined it to be a fake.

A Deception Bay man, 28, and a second 23-year-old man, allegedly the pair who raised the alarm at the Jazz Club, were detained at the scene.

The 28-year-old was charged with placing a bomb-like device and falsely stating it was dangerous.

He is due to appear in Brisbane Magistrates Court on Friday morning.

The 23-year-old man was released without charge.

Inspector Sean Cryer told reporters at the scene that police had to treat the claims with the “utmost caution”.

“Police received a call that there were two male persons running around calling out ‘there is a bomb inside the toilet’,” Inspector Sean Cryer said.

“The toilet revealed a suspected improvised explosive device with wires coming out of it, with batteries coming out of it.

“We are obviously treating it with the utmost caution.”

Stay informed. Like Brisbane Times on Facebook.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

This entry was posted in 南京夜网. Bookmark the permalink.